Thursday, January 17, 2019

A Body In Motion: Atlanta Roller Girls

This series of photographs are dedicated to showing real derby skater bodies without pretense and without apology.  Our focus is on scrimmage time, where the real practice happens.  The game play is real.  The sweat is real.  The hits are real.  This set features skaters from Atlanta Rollergirls.  Additional photos can be found on Cory’s Flickr album.  Get future updates on Facebook by following The Rollergirl Project.




TRGP-0184

In the mirror, I tend to see someone who could always lose a little here or there or fix this or that, but these pictures help me to realize that all my “extras” have a purpose.

- Puns of Steel, 3 year veteran



TRGP-0115




TRGP-0122




TRGP-0123




TRGP-0142




TRGP-0190




TRGP-0207

Working with these incredible people in practice several days a week, every week, it can be hard to remember that they might struggle to see themselves the way I see them. We all struggle with insecurities and fears, but when I see my teammates I see champions. I see the work they have put into themselves, their commitment, their improvement. I hope that with photos like these, my teammates get to see more of these things in themselves, if they don't already.

- Switchcraft, 1 year veteran



TRGP-0208

In me I see:  Strength, Determination, Relentlessness, Intellect, Confidence

- Gucci Maim, 5 year veteran



TRGP-0217




TRGP-0357




TRGP-0397

Looking back, the times I felt the worst about myself, I looked fabulous. I didn't want that same feeling to keep me from taking advantage of this opportunity. Years from now, I'm going to look back and wish I looked the way I do in those pictures.

- Git Off My Lawn, 8 year veteran



TRGP-0428




TRGP-0444




TRGP-0482

I wanted to prove to myself that I don't care what others may say, I am happy to be built just as I am.

- Nipsy, 1 1/2 year veteran


2 comments:

  1. I love this! These comments are exactly the way I felt when I took part in "A Body in Motion". Beautiful work, beautiful women!

    ReplyDelete